St. Theresa’s Boys High School
Fr. Peter Braun stepped into the shoes of Fr. Proksch in February, 1951. He set before himself the idea and ideal of building first a school. On October 3, 1952, Cardinal Gracias, Archbishop of Bombay, blessed and laid the foundation stone of the new school. In addition to the 6 plots bought by Fr. Gomes, Fr. Braun acquired 6 more plots for the church and the school between November 29, 1951 and November 15, 1957, the total area being 4985 sq. yards for Rs 56,710. October 1955 saw the parish in a gala affair when her newly- consecrated son, the Most Rev. Dr. Longinus Pereira, the Auxiliary Bishop of Bombay, blessed the school and celebrated Pontifical High Mass on the terrace. From then Mass was discontinued in the “Woodhouse Chapel” and a wing on the 1st floor of the school building was assigned as a temporary chapel – a house more worthy of the Lord.
The remarkable work done by Fr. John Partsch from 1951 to 1956 in assisting Fr. Braun in the establishment of the school is still remembered by many old-timers. The Braun-Pratsch team functioned effectively and the completion of the first stage of the school building is almost entirely due to their efforts. The silent deeds of some of the people of Pali and the surrounding areas who parted with their land and even a little of their pay packets in the cause of the church are remembered as the “unwept, unhonoured, unsung” heroes of St. Theresa’s parish.
The St. Theresa’s High School has grown from an ‘airconditioned’ bamboo walls and kerosene tin roof building to an imposing structure adding to the beauty of TPS III. The foundation stone of the school building was laid by His Eminence Valerian Cardinal Gracias on 3rd October 1952. Due to land difficulties however, the work was resumed only in 1954, under the able supervision of Brother Damsus Pley, SVD. In the year 1955 under the able guidance of Fr. Partsch, SVD as its first Principal, the school stated with 118 pupils on roll. S. Theresa’s became a full fledged High School in 1961 when the first batch of students were sent up for SSC examinations. By 1963, all girls sections except Std X and XI went over to Duruelo Convent. In 1968 under the guidance of Fr. Jungblutt, the then principal, a new extension to the school was added, which provided more classrooms and a half for the parish.
When Fr. J. Partsch (1951 – 1956) left, Fr. A. Malina took over the stewardship in 1956 and he was succeeded by Sr. Cecelia for a year (1960 – 1961); Fr. L. Jungblut was in the rein from 1962 – 1971; Fr. Clement Godwin who was a popular assistant in the parish and teacher in the school for several years also acted as Principal when Fr.L. Jungblut went to Europe on home leave. Fr. K. Pottanani who was already in the staff of the school for a few years, succeeded Fr. Jungblut in 1971: Fr. J. Nallor succeeded Fr. Pottanani in 1977 until his retirement in 1990. Fr. Jerome D’Souza follwed Fr.Nallor till 1998. Fr. Anthony Joseph was the Principal from 1998 till 2009 after which Fr. John Mascarenhas took over. Fr. Santhuraj joined in 2000 as the headmaster of the primary section till 2004. Other SVD members who served the school are Frs. Varghese Chalamana and Venance Ashirvadam: both now serving in Andhra missions.
Fr. O’Toole was sent to Indore and Fr. Clement Godwin replaced him as assistant to Fr. Leo. Fr. Godwin was acting Principal of St. Theresa’s High School for a year in 1964-65. With the work increasing, Fr. E. Schlappa (1961) was assigned as Assistant Parish Priest in February 1961. Fr. Leon Jungblut SVD took charge as Principal of St. Theresa’s High School in 1962 and retired in 1971.
Fr. Leo made an extension in the form of the north and south wings of the school and constructed the second floor.
For more information on the school, please visit the website St. Theresa’s Boys High School